Do you use a 2.x or older version of uT?

naiduv

what is it used for anyway???
Caching (temporarily storing) of downloaded blocks, before they are commited to disk (Flushing) and/or storing blocks being requested/uploaded to reduce disk reads
what are the advantage of that # (128)?

Four times as much temporary storage BUT 'more' is not always 'better' (or necessary) where the laws of diminishing returns apply.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use 2.2.1

As mentioned earlier.

Stable

No disk I/O and caching issues

No ads

No social features

No streaming features

No multimedia features

No anti-virus integration

Clean and fast UI.

Faster: with 2.2.1 i can get speeds in the 300 mbit+ area with no problems. 3.x will rarely go 100 mbit+

Cons:

Doesn't support 1.8 gb+ cache, why do i need that? Because i have 400 mbit+ and the harddrives overload as soon the cache is full. Having 4gb cache would be nice.

Because i have 400 mbit+ and the harddrives overload as soon the cache is full. Having 4gb cache would be nice.

Use RAMDrive (==large "cache"). No cache will help you if the sum of your HD speed + uT IO processing logic/power is low. uT just have issues with handling multi-file torrents IO. Try a torrent with single file and you'll see that all is well. 3.4 might (eventually) help with that... Who knows...

Because i have 400 mbit+ and the harddrives overload as soon the cache is full. Having 4gb cache would be nice.

Use RAMDrive (==large "cache"). No cache will help you if the sum of your HD speed + uT IO processing logic/power is low. uT just have issues with handling multi-file torrents IO. Try a torrent with single file and you'll see that all is well. 3.4 might (eventually) help with that... Who knows...

Not entirely sure how a RAMDrive would work or what ==large "cache" does. I know of RamDisk, but i don't see how that would help.

And why wouldn't a larger cache help?.

When the cache is full at 1.8gb the disk overloads and download slows to a crawl until it's done writing the entire cache to disk.

If the cache was 4/5 gb this wouldn't happen with the majority of files being less than 10gb, excluding packs, games etc.

Sure it would still happen in situations where you're downloading much larger files, but it would still be a big help.

Most of my trackers only serve scene releases.

RAMDrive will solve the cache >2G "problem", plus it is as fast as a RAM/cache, so you can use the default 128M cache and be happy...

If you didn't understand, the root cause is that your setup+utorrent+HD are resulting in slow IO in reference to your faster connection DL speed.

As it is now, you are right, uT 3.x will not process IO (for multi-files torrents) to HD at above ~100Mbps rate. So, 300mpb needs the dev team to improve handling of the IO to disk. I can only hope this will be sooner then later.

So, if i understand correctly, RAMDrive is the same as a RAMdisk, and you're suggesting that i make a small portion of my ram into a drive, like g: drive. And used that as cache even tho it's the same hardware that handles both, and that should solve my problem?

Just for clarification, i have 8gb ram, and 3x sata3 7200 rpm drives.

RAMDrive=RAMdisk. Sadly yeah, as a temporary solution to "speedup" the inefficiency of uT using a real (slower) hard drive for multi-files torrents.

If you see ~12MB/sec effective write-speed (with small cache) this is the max you can get with optimal settings with 3.4.x .

Not to forget that you will probably need to copy it sometime from the RAMDisk to a real disk... This can take time too...

RAMDrive=RAMdisk. Sadly yeah, as a temporary solution to "speedup" the inefficiency of uT using a real (slower) hard drive for multi-files torrents.

If you see ~12MB/sec effective write-speed (with small cache) this is the max you can get with optimal settings with 3.4.x .

Not to forget that you will probably need to copy it sometime from the RAMDisk to a real disk... This can take time too...

That could be a problem, creating a 4gb ramdisk would leave only 4gb ram for the rest of the system, and i would have to use that drive as a download directory, which means i'd have to empty it manually every few min if downloading larger files.

I think ut 2.2.1 will do about 15 mb/s write speed.

Atm i've limited ut to 22mb/s, with 1.8gb cache, that seems to work fine even for larger files. It's sad that i'm only using about 50% of the capacity.

3273184108.png

You are lucky to have 400mpbs connection... :) I guess it comes with it's own "problems" like this one...

I didn't remember 2.2.1 actually had similar performance. I thought it was faster, more like 25MB/sec. Probably my bad memory...

16kB

Well, i've never been a raid person, but maybe raid0 would be something to consider.

I have 2 seagate 750gb drives for games, movies, tv etc. That's where the majority of my torrents go.

Or is it possible to set up a temp dir, as my c: is an ssd and i wouldn't mind if utorrent used 4gb as cache.

• 1 month later...

Let me know which one, and everything you like/liked about it.

Hi I've got version 3.3 and have not had any problems until recently , the files seeding are in red and seem to be inactive. Is this normal or has a problem occured. Sorry if incorrect place to post but i'm not good with technical stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help  :)  :huh:  :)

Archived