µTorrent 2.2 released

Firon

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just upgrade by hand. Download the 2.2 exe, run it and install over. You won't lose any settings.

I know how to update manually. I was hoping that more reports of the auto-update not working might inspire somebody to figure out what the problem was and fix it. (I'm sure there are a fair number of people who don't check this site very often and depend on the auto-update to get new versions.)

Besides, from following this thread I'm a little dubious about how ready 2.2 is fro prime time: I'll need to configure a boss key (which I have no use for) so I don't have to reboot my computer when the taskbar icon disappears?

Is it compatible with Wine to run on Linux?

I'm asking because 2.0 worked perfectly on Wine, but I just updated and the program won't even load, even though it's using 100% of the CPU.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see 2.2.1 was released and Wine support was the update. I'm gonna check it now.

So how do I go back to previous version ? First of all, this new skin is absolutely f**ing horrible. It just looks disgusting and isn't as simple as it used to be .. What I like about uTorrent is that it's small, lightweight and simple to use.

Secondly, my upload speed is effed up. Prior to the update I was uploading at 1mbps and now it's around 500kbps and no more. And it ain't about the torrents not having enough leechers, I can assure you that.

Yes I know, I could uninstall and find older release from somewhere but that would mean losing all my settings, stats and torrent lists etc.. I usually find and open any files from that list. And don't suggest copying the settings folder because I tried it when I went from Vista to Win7, and it didn't work.

So how do I go back to previous version ? First of all, this new skin is absolutely f**ing horrible

Then change it.

Secondly, my upload speed is effed up. Prior to the update I was uploading at 1mbps and now it's around 500kbps and no more. And it ain't about the torrents not having enough leechers, I can assure you that.

Then it may be other settings.

I had to return back to 2.0.4

2.2 - crazy CPU usage, staying at 24-25% minimum (quad-core CPU) - at that CPU usage, non-responsive, useless.

2.0.4 - 4-7% in comparison, with the same settings, downloading the same torrents.

Even though 2.0.4 not perfect either, to stay so low, I had to reduce global maximum/peers per torrent/upload slots,

active torrents, active downloads - not sure which ones important. The most important would be max upload/download rates, but I don't want to limit them.

But 2.2 CPU usage 25% with the same reduced settings!

Tried several times, from the very moment it shows up on the screen - already 25%, even though no active torrents yet.

Again, with 2.0.4 - 5%, with 2.2 - 25 % - CPU usage increased 5 times.

Perhaps there are some 2.2-specific new settings to limit the CPU usage?

BTW, even with 2.0.4 no settings can limit CPU usage during fast downloads (unless limiting the download speed itself):

Now I have 9.5 MB/s download speed (with overhead, perhaps close to 100 Mbps?) and 22-25% CPU with 2.0.4

But 2.2 was using 25% without any download speed to speak of.

Sometimes I have similar > 9.5 MB/s upload speed, but it does not seem to cause such high CPU usage, download is worse.

Another thing, I am using multiple hard drives, internal, eSATA, and multiple USB drives, slow drives perhaps have something to do with it? Although even when there is no overload indication, still high cpu usage.

BTW - disk overload message - it would be nice to know which disk. I have simultaneously 17 external and 8 interal (not enough letters, using also paths) and hundreds of active torrents and sometimes it is difficult to tell which disk, although, I assume, one or more of external USB ones.

Auto-update finally kicked in for me; no idea if somebody fixed somethhing or it was just the right phase of the moon. :)

One issue I noticed (that I don't remember seeing in this thread):

After the auto-update, when µTorrent 2.2 started up, I got a pop-up with something about "unable to start installer" (or updater?) , with a message that I needed to download from the web site and install manually. µTorrent 2.2 seems to be working fine, and when I checked the preferences all the settings looked normal, so I decided not to download and manually reinstall.

Is ignoring that message OK, or do I really need to download and install µTorrent 2.2 manually over top of the auto-update to µTorrent 2.2 that seems to be working fine?

What settings ? So you seriously claim that just by running a little small update, it went and changed my settings that were unchanged from the day I installed µTorrent ? Always have been running on default settings and it's not like there are some particular settings I need to set it up for it to upload at maximum speed which it has always done.

And change the skin .. how ? Sorry I don't know how to change skins, why even change the current one automatically ? should just have kept the old one and have it be optional. I only updated because the stupid popup would come up all the time for updates.

Is ignoring that message OK, or do I really need to download and install µTorrent 2.2 manually over top of the auto-update to µTorrent 2.2 that seems to be working fine?

If µT displays 2.2 version and works fine, it's OK. Anyway I guess checking for new update in your client should not invite you to download a new version.

And change the skin .. how ? Sorry I don't know how to change skins, why even change the current one automatically ? should just have kept the old one and have it be optional.

1st post of this topic.

No, not only columns. Even the [v] [v] [v] [v] signs on torrent history changed to [!] [!] [!] [!] - wrong conversion of resume.dat? And why I cannot DL old versions of uT? Latest is not the best!

And it would be a good idea to store all settings in XML format, like ReGet do. This way I can fix it manually or with pearl scripts - if I need to fix multiple paths.

And even with old|new 204 skin green color of 100% is plain toxic - is there a way to change it?

Even the [v] [v] [v] [v] signs on torrent history changed to [!] [!] [!] [!]

+1

I found that the torrents which I had completed, seeded for a while, stopped, and only then moved the contents of which manually (thereby maintaining the green tick and "finished" status), have all changed from [Green Tick] to [Red Exclamation Mark]. Does the update force a recheck of all torrents?

I know it may seem odd to keep torrents that are no longer being seeded, but I have a very good reason to do so! If I keep them in the GUI, I will not download the same thing twice by accident! I've always counted on uTorrent to warn me that a certain torrent is "already in the list of torrents", and it has more than once saved me from the trouble of redownloading something I had forgotten of having downloaded in the past.

Is there a way to manually reset all finished torrents to "Finished" rather than "Error: Files Missing" without having to point all of them to their new folder, one by one? 'Cos that would take me ages. And all those Errors look really depressing...

well i checked languages and notice that ther are missing 5 translations from download- availeble languages:Albania, Faroese, Frision, Lithuania, Serbian(Latin), besides that ther also are added 2 translation that are not listed in download- availeble languages:Kurdish, Valencian.

so i realy hope it will be fixed very soon

Archived