µtSig

DomZ

And as many of you probably know there is a Webui coming for µTorrent soon, the actual engine (µTorrents part) is actually already in the 1.5 stable. Directrix is working on the webui and I had a little idea for a side project using the webui engine.

So I thought it would be cool to have a dynamic sig that shows current download/upload speed, number of torrents, etc. You can see the result in my sig. Dirextric helped a bit with the code, but there was an issue with caching. Everytime someone loads a thread with your sig in it, you don't want the script requesting your PC for information from µTorrent. So I added two methods of caching:

1. Cache every x requests. For example, every "10" visits to the script, the remote µTorrent will be accessed once.

2. Cache every x mins. For example, every "10" minutes after the µTorrent was last accessed, access it again to get a more up to date cached image.

What I'm wondering is, would anyone be interesting in having something like this as their own sig?

And if you are, or if your talented with design skills and feel bored, could you give me some more designs to use as backgrounds to the sig (PNG's). The script and caching is coded, and here's what it looks like at the moment (With a background nicely provided by Directrix)

index.php

Have you thought about the impact to your µTorrent? According to the Forum homepage, there are 12,000+ registered users. Assuming 10% reads General, therefore most threads, that's 1000 hits for just one post to forum.utorrent.com. If they re-display the thread, that's another 1000 hits (where is the cache held?). If you make it happen across the Web, you're going to be uploading more Sig data than Torrent data!

Splintax^: I've lost that, and the font had a border which amde tihngs difficult, send me some more backgrounds on IRC and I'll get them working

Hey, that looks awfully like the webui splash I made for Directrix..

Anyway, I think the fonts used should be the same. Otherwise, nice :)

Ah that's right, he said he used your artwork or something. I wasn't 100% sure where it came from, but yeh, I guess you made it :P

And the fonts, with the font he used as the labels, kb/s etc were hard to read.

Have you thought about the impact to your µTorrent? According to the Forum homepage, there are 12,000+ registered users. Assuming 10% reads General, therefore most threads, that's 1000 hits for just one post to forum.utorrent.com. If they re-display the thread, that's another 1000 hits (where is the cache held?). If you make it happen across the Web, you're going to be uploading more Sig data than Torrent data!

Not sure what you are getting at here, just like any other dynamic sig, it's stored on a server rather than my actual personal computer. The caching I wrote, means that it only requests information fom my personal computer (e.g µTorrent) depending on what you set on the caching options (I have it set to a 5 minute interval, which means my comptuer gets one simple get request every 5 minutes).

I like the idea and have a question...

With the addition of the wedgui do you think it possible for a forum to be coded display this automatically ??

Example... User A is a member of PRIVATE/ Tracker A.

When user A uses the tracker/logs into the forum the forum has the option (which the user can set yes or know to) to disply the sig that shows the total seed/leeched count OR just the count for that tracker/torrent.

Will you be adding a feature to display the sig based on tracker usage??

Ex: I'm seeding 2 files to and leeching 1 ontracker A so my sig on that forum would show ONLY the count of 2S and 1L in that forum while showing 1s/3L while seeding 1 and leeching 3 on tracker B at the same time.

OR Is that something the user would need to adjust in the local webgui??

DomZ, sorry, I didn't understand that it was a forum.utorrent.com script. I was thinking you were talking about it being your .sig for EVERYWHERE on every BB, meaning there is no central server, so your PC would be pinged every time anyone looked at a post of yours.

On another note, I've thought about it some more, and I went in and specified a WebUI password, away from the default blank one. If you can do this with a script, anyone can do anything on my machine using just the information that is up on the Peers tab (µTorrent 1500, IP:port).

Or am I being overly paranoid/not understanding the WebUI? Is it a back-door? If I'm not wrong, µTorrent had better start asking users to specify that password!

DomZ, sorry, I didn't understand that it was a forum.utorrent.com script. I was thinking you were talking about it being your .sig for EVERYWHERE on every BB, meaning there is no central server, so your PC would be pinged every time anyone looked at a post of yours.

On another note, I've thought about it some more, and I went in and specified a WebUI password, away from the default blank one. If you can do this with a script, anyone can do anything on my machine using just the information that is up on the Peers tab (µTorrent 1500, IP:port).

Or am I being overly paranoid/not understanding the WebUI? Is it a back-door? If I'm not wrong, µTorrent had better start asking users to specify that password!

The webui requires Basic HTTP Auth for you to run anything, so unless they know the username/password set in your advanced options, then they can't do anything/get any information.

It is my sig on other forums, but because the png is cached my personal computer doesn't get hammered (e.g you refresh this thread, it will probably show the same information, but it wont in 10 minutes time).

Archived