µTorrent 3.0 (32-bit) Stable Release

Firon

I'll ask again. Please help!!

How can I add the status icons in the "Name" colunm in Utorrent 3.0?

utorrent3.jpg

I want these icons at side to the file name, like it was in 2.2.1

Anyone knows how to proceed? I cannot find any option in UT to enable it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

utorrent3.jpg

Go to Advanced options in preferences and set gui.show_status_icon_in_dl_list to true

- Fix: data is invalid errors when using partfile

Now that the avove has been fixed, I am now getting this error on random torrents and I am not not skipping any files.

Error: the system cannot find the file specified.

It seems to be reported in this thread:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=99202

Are you using the !ut feature? I would not recommend using it if you are.

Some GUI glitch: on the "Files" tab — on every µTorrent restart the "Rate" column forgets it's width value (i.e. set by double clicking) and gets default (?) value about twice as wide, activating horizontal scroll.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier.

Hi,

Does this still happen for you?

If so, please let me know what the circumstances are (upgraded from version X to Y, OS Version, default info tab, etc)

Thanks.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else so here's another tray icon issue:

"Always show tray icon" with "Start µTorrent on system startup" and "Minimize at system start" are selected, and µTorrent is pinned to Windows 7 taskbar. µTorrent shows up in tray on system start but taskbar icon still shows it as closed until it is clicked or the tray icon is used to bring up the main window.

Do you have "Minimize to tray" turned on? If so then what you describe is the proper behavior.

On a tangent, I just wanted to mention I really wish tooltips for filenames worked in the Name column of the Add New Torrent dialog. Cheers! :)

Also, the tooltips for everything in the Torrent Jobs List are messed up as well. The only way I can get them to show up is by scrolling, then quickly moving the mouse cursor to where the tooltip should appear. If I just try it without scrolling first, they don't appear at all. I think this is related to the whole GUI updating issue.

BTW, I'm using the 64-bit version so idk if the same applies here.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4513/utorrent3.jpg

I want these icons at side to the file name' date=' like it was in 2.2.1

Anyone knows how to proceed? I cannot find any option in UT to enable it.[/quote']

Go to Advanced options in preferences and set gui.show_status_icon_in_dl_list to true

IMHO, this option should be set to true by default.

And maybe later on should be moved out of Advanced and into UI Settings...

...Although other gui.* options are probably ahead in line for that move.

Some GUI glitch: on the "Files" tab — on every µTorrent restart the "Rate" column forgets it's width value (i.e. set by double clicking) and gets default (?) value about twice as wide' date=' activating horizontal scroll.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier.[/quote']

Hi,

Does this still happen for you?

If so, please let me know what the circumstances are (upgraded from version X to Y, OS Version, default info tab, etc)

Thanks.

If you can't reproduce this, then I'm guessing his settings.dat is messed up like mine was when I had the Streamable column issue. Starting with a fresh settings.dat fixed it for me. BTW, were you able to find anything out from the settings.dat I sent you?

Do you have "Minimize to tray" turned on? If so then what you describe is the proper behavior.

No, I only have "Always show tray icon" enabled in that section. So to better explain: when it minimizes on system start it acts as though I have "Minimize to tray" enabled when I don't; it should only minimize to the taskbar.

Why ? I am using it since forever now... :(

Me too. When did this feature become broken?

It broke in µTorrent 2.2.1, as several of us pointed out in the 2.2.1 release thread. The bug is that µTorrent sometimes doesn't remove the !ut extension when a file has been completely downloaded. If you notice it, you can do a 'Force recheck', which will fix the file extension, but it's still a major nuisance. (Apparently the bug only affects multi-file torrents; single-file torrents don't seem to be affected.)

Now I'm wondering: does Firon's comment mean they broke it in 2.2.1 and still haven't bothered to fix it in 3.0, or does it mean there's some new bug in the !ut feature that most of us don't know about?

Personally, this is pretty frustrating: for me, the !ut feature is very useful and important to the way I use µTorrent.

I've installed the latest 3.0 version...but there insn't the italian language...why ???

Thanks a lot for one answer about...

Ask Italian translators' date=' not here.

[url']http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=429

Thanks...but don't work anywhere....in the new build 3.0 25345 there isn't italian language...

please refere to ..Option...Preferences...General....Language...and if you note

there isn't the italian language....

That's all...

The feature has never worked reliably due to the original implementation (and trust me, I'm very familiar with all the problems). Some work has been put in lately to make it much saner though. It's good to know you guys are using it though, since that'll make tracking down the problem easier.

After you download and start installation writes can not be loaded: system unable to find the path specified. I have windows 7 sp1

This sounds very similar to the bug reported here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=589404#p589404

Is 2.2.1 still running when you are trying to install? If so, it is the same bug.

We are working on fixing this now.

I've installed the latest 3.0 version...but there insn't the italian language...why ???

Thanks a lot for one answer about...

Thanks...but don't work anywhere....in the new build 3.0 25345 there isn't italian language...

That's all...

Here's how this works:

1. We release a new version that has many new / different strings.

2. The translators get busy and fill those in.

If, at any time, a translation drops below 80% translated, we don't ship that translation. New releases usually add a ton of new strings, so translators fall behind for a little while. Un breve periodo. Un poco tempo. As soon as they catch up, we add it back.

We're not dropping Italian, so don't overheat your pastrami.

Grazie.

hmm, here's something I first thought was happening because of the general laggyness, but I thing it's not related to that but a bug on it's own:

When utorrent has the focus and/or a single torrent is selected I press control+a to select all torrents (because for e.g. I want to start/stop them) and it simply won't select all torrents (nothing will happen instead), I have to hit control+a a second time for it to work. This is reproducible ~90% of the time.

edit) build 25345 (32-bit), win7 64bit

utorrent uses about 28MB RAM - we're talking about 54 torrents here, but the select all issue happens in both cases: when they are all active and I want to stop them but also when they are all stopped.

hmm, here's something I first thought was happening because of the general laggyness, but I thing it's not related to that but a bug on it's own:

When utorrent has the focus and/or a single torrent is selected I press control+a to select all torrents (because for e.g. I want to start/stop them) and it simply won't select all torrents (nothing will happen instead), I have to hit control+a a second time for it to work. This is reproducible 100% of the time.

this never happped to me ...my os:win 7 32bit sp1 & build:25345

please report your os and build for the devs

That's all...

Here's how this works:

1. We release a new version that has many new / different strings.

2. The translators get busy and fill those in.

If, at any time, a translation drops below 80% translated, we don't ship that translation. New releases usually add a ton of new strings, so translators fall behind for a little while. Un breve periodo. Un poco tempo. As soon as they catch up, we add it back.

We're not dropping Italian, so don't overheat your pastrami.

Grazie.

Thanks for your answer I wait the new translation...

There is one issue with read caching for 3.0 RC4 build 25345.

Disk statistics with enabled read cache:

cache2.png

Disk Cache Settings for above situation with enabled read cache:

cache2settings.png

Disk statistics with disabled read cache:

cache3.png

Disk Cache Settings for above situation with disabled read cache:

cache3settings.png

When read cache is enabled utorrent reads full torrent piece for every request. In example above it is 4 MB. Even if only 16 KB was requested, 4 MB will be read from disk. I understand this logic, because there is a chance, that there might be a request for another chunk in read piece, so generally such approach reduces number of disk reads sacrificing increased disk bandwidth. When read cache is disabled, then utorrent always reads 16 KB for every request. It decreases number of read bytes from disk, but increases number of reads. Ok. This is understandable. But let's look how it works in reality.

Test was for around 1.5 minutes. Utorrent read 4.34 GB from disk and sent 19.5 MB to client. Read/request ratio for number of bytes is 4.34 * 1024 / 19.5 ~ 228. Read/request ratio for number of requests is 1112/1253 ~ 0.89. So, it means, that uttorent saves only 11% of disk access number at the expense of reading 228 more information from disk (22800%)! Amazingly great waste of resources! Also you see, that option "Increase automatic cache size when cache is trashing is active" is enabled, but cache size doesn't even want to increase itself and stuck to 32 MB. It fills itself in less than a second with such disk demands. As you see cache reading is absolutely useless in above example. I gave you example with large torrent piece - 4 MB. Situation will look some better with smaller torrent pieces.

Now let's look at utorrent 2.2.1. It reads 128 KB from file, when cache is enabled no matter of torrent piece size. In my tests, I have read/request ratio for number of bytes around 4.6 and read/request ratio for number of requests is 0.58. Much better than for 3.0.

I didn't find any advanced option for reducing number of read bytes per request. It would be perfect to control it manually. I would prefer 64 KB. Default 128 KB is ok too. But piece size (up to 4 MB) is totally unacceptable.

utorrent3.jpg

You can also enable the "status" column, which is much nicer than those icons :)

The feature has never worked reliably due to the original implementation (and trust me' date=' I'm very familiar with all the problems). Some work has been put in lately to make it much saner though. It's good to know you guys are using it though, since that'll make tracking down the problem easier.[/quote']

I was using it too and been having similar problems. It's good to know that it was caused by that. Too bad, because it is a great feature to easily tell which files are completed and which not (checking the filelist inside uT is a pain in the ass, sorry)

Archived