µTorrent 3.0 (32-bit) Stable Release

Firon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the latest beta I'm getting errors on some torrents. It will be in the middle of downloading and then an error will appear that says:

Error: The data is invalid

If I do a "Force Re-Check" and restart the torrent it will eventually finish. On some torrents I've had to do this several times in order for it to finish.

I have had this happen also as I have said before 3 or 4 times on this forum.

This has been reported by many others and still no reply by any one from utorrent. :mad:

I can not upgrade from 2.2 until some one figures this out.

The issue is being looked at as of a while ago. We'll hopefully have a fix soon.

I can reconfirm Meddio's post about misreporting speeds, I had noticed it but thought it was just the difference with overhead. I since rechecked.

In the latest build my actual download speed issues have cleared up. Torrents are coming down at their expected rates, so I'm removing my previous report (not that I think you guys take speed reports seriously :\)

@ MacGyverek - Wow.. Just wow :\

The problem with speed issue reports is that torrents are SO variable that differences in speed are usually just by chance.

I have used uTorrent for several years and thru my OWN ignorance I paid little attention to the DISPLAYED peer list that anyone can see when downloading. Is this a good thing? If I worked for the MPAA/RIAA/SNOOPERS/ this is exactly the info I would show the the judge when I wanted all of the personal info from all the ISPs so I could sue their collective A**ES off for a lot of money. Someone needs to read the headlines about 23,000 notices going out to said ISPs for just this info (regarding the latest Sylvester Stallone movie). Now, I could pay 100.00 USD per month for a "secure" vpn line. (Is it really? Maybe I could use TOR with the Tails add-on, but you still have the exit node issue here. (not encrypted from node to final destination, unless you have SSL/HTTPS). And the TOR network and torrent downloaders take a performance hit when used together. Think I'll stop for a while.

For legitimate (read: non-illegal) use of the program, the peer list can help diagnose setting and network errors.

For illegitimate (read: illegal) use of the program... well, those users don't really have the high ground to make this kind of request.

For those who simply are concerned with privacy, unfortunately for them, peer-to-peer data transfer requires IP-specific connections.

I can reconfirm Meddio's post about misreporting speeds' date=' I had noticed it but thought it was just the difference with overhead. I since rechecked.

In the latest build my actual download speed issues have cleared up. Torrents are coming down at their expected rates, so I'm removing my previous report (not that I think you guys take speed reports seriously :\)

@ MacGyverek - Wow.. Just wow :\[/quote']

The problem with speed issue reports is that torrents are SO variable that differences in speed are usually just by chance.

Yeah, I completely understand. I'm a network engineer myself. I just won't report it unless I can confirm it.

I'm on an 8Mbps connection that peeks at about 800KBps. I'm not exactly a high speed downloader :P For speed tests I am always hitting torrents with superseeding servers or massive seed counts.

Even then I understand that who in the swarm I connect to and their current peer connections will affect their serving speed, but not to the tune of 500KBps generally >.<

That said again, you don't listen to these reports for the same reason that tech support always walk you through the idiot trouble shooting steps; if it is an idiot issue, you spend a day chasing down a non issue.

If there is client software that doesn't display the peers ip wouldn't that be a more secure way to go?

Ostrich with the head in the sand.

Bit harsh isn't it?

He is of course correct though (as per normal).

For legitimate (read: non-illegal) use of the program, the peer list can help diagnose setting and network errors.

For illegitimate (read: illegal) use of the program... well, those users don't really have the high ground to make this kind of request.

For those who simply are concerned with privacy, unfortunately for them, peer-to-peer data transfer requires IP-specific connections.

For legitimate and illegitimate users, being able to access the peer list let's you download your torrent. The protocol has to include this functionality or you can't download anything. You don't need uTorrent to collect all the peer data, there are a dozen swarm scrapers out there that will do it for you..

As a side note, since when does one need to have the moral high ground to make a feature request?

Is it normal?

1. Disable scrape, stop all torrents.

2. Close uTorrent, then start it again.

3. Start any torrent, than stop it. Scrape is disabled, however Tracker list show "scrape ok" and some peers.

Present in latest 2.2.1 and 3.0

utorrentscrape.th.png utorrentscrape3.th.png

articuno1au wrote:

For legitimate and illegitimate users, being able to access the peer list let's you download your torrent. The protocol has to include this functionality or you can't download anything. You don't need uTorrent to collect all the peer data, there are a dozen swarm scrapers out there that will do it for you..

As a side note, since when does one need to have the moral high ground to make a feature request?

Thank you I didn't think I needed a 'moral high or low ground' either. My only concern was and always will be security and any privacy I can get. Its apparent I need to learn how the peer list can be used to troubleshoot problems/issues, but that is not for this forum. I will search further. Thanks everyone.

uTorrent 3.0 is slowly gaining a peak download speed. With bandwidth of 15 Mbps uTorrent 3.0 spends about 4-5 minutes to achieve maximum download speeds, and version 2.2.1 - 10-30 seconds on the same system with one and the same ". torrent" file. How do I fix this with customizations? Or is it a bug / feature of version 3.0?

There is a problem with partial downloads, I think. The overlapping pieces between selected (for download) and non-selected files are downloaded at first, but later get considered as missing, causing an "Error: The Data is Invalid" message. After resuming, it happens again. A forced recheck also consider these pieces as missing. Gone back to 2.2.1 because of this. OS: XP SP3.

Edit: reported it here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=585420

uTorrent 3.0 is slowly gaining a peak download speed. With bandwidth of 15 Mbps uTorrent 3.0 spends about 4-5 minutes to achieve maximum download speeds, and version 2.2.1 - 10-30 seconds on the same system with one and the same ". torrent" file. How do I fix this with customizations? Or is it a bug / feature of version 3.0?

The issue is that even with the same torrent file, you may have connected to different parts of the swarm and that explains the difference in download speeds and the rapidity with which you obtain these speeds. (It means that there is no corollary between the build and the speed issues :|)

I am inclined to agree that there are speed issues with this build. I couldn't get a server with a 100Mbps pipe above 2Mbps constant upload.

I'm lucky in that the files I download are generally exceptionally well seeded, so I haven't had to many issues overall..

3.0: 25234: Windows 7 x64.

uTorrent: 50% cpu usage. Download pathetic (8kbs).

Icons awful. They are pretty, but the 4 pane gray window (the b/w windows icon from 1989) turns every button into a piece of art, not an icon I can recognise at a glance.

The Pause button takes a universally recognised symbol and makes it unrecognisable. That takes real talent.

utorrent is turning into vuze. Used to be good, then it turned into a program that wasn't verygood.

Tip to utorrent: ALWAYS remember a large % of yours users have *NO* brand loyalty. If you fuck up utorrent we'll move on, just like we did from wherever we were before.

We don't want cute features, we just want to download stuff.

(eg show me a single app that's actually useful in the context of a torrent application).

EDIT: downgraded to 2.2.1. Download shot up to 500 kbps which is pretty good for where I am. CPU usage normal.

Stop/pause/play Icons are instantly recognisable.

However, lameness of apparent utorrent direction has me surfing for alternative applications.

(Serously, WTF do I want crapware installed with uTorrent? Uncheck those by default in the installer and you might earn some kudos).

Good luck making money :-)

Hey cheeseISgood (and everyone worried we're turning into Vuze),

I know you don't want us to turn into something unrecognizable to what's made us a good home for you over the past many years - speed, light weight, no frills, etc. I also don't take you all for granted - I know we can lose you, we talk about you and users like you *a lot*, and we're all very happy to have you. I want to say that:

- We read and we hear what you're saying. That's evidenced by changes we make specifically in response to your wants.

- Obviously we screw up sometimes. Sorry. :/ Part of this is inevitable in the alpha/beta process, and I *really* appreciate you all telling us about our errors so we can fix them.

- We will continue to change the product in ways our power users have asked for (or we think will like), such as in maintaining fast speed and light weight, solving stability issues and building some features from the idea bank and forums.

- It's my belief that power users understand we'll make changes for other reasons as well, and that as long as we 1) do so in ways that keep the core product experience intact and 2) listen to feedback and make adjustments and fixes along the way, that this is acceptable.

For example, it's NOT wrong to assist new users by trying to make the first user experience easier as long as we keep the existing user model intact and selected by default for returning users (users with previous settings). And it's okay to experiment with new features and technologies as long as we listen to user feedback and make necessary changes. And it's even okay to operate like a business and make money as long as we do so in an honest, open way and we don't cross any lines of respect or do anything ethically wrong.

Please let me know if I'm wrong about my beliefs here - you or anybody. And thanks for donating your time to help us keep a correct course.

By the way, about those icons: We had a simple goal of differentiating the "torrent action" icons from universal playback options. Because some new users were getting confused. I know we won't please everybody here. We DID send the icons to the forum for feedback many weeks back in hopes of pleasing more of you (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=96984). But icons and aesthetics are troubling because they're so subjective. I think the best thing we can do is stop messing with them every release, and to continue to allow users to create their own icons or revert to icon sets they like from the past using skins.

Jordy

Director of product management, uTorrent

Removing the ability to double-click on an unfinished torrent to play it was uncool; I used that heavily.

I totally agree... as I said in my previous comment' date=' please bring back the ability to play unfinished torrent by double-clicking. Please please please.....[/quote']

Thanks for the head's up, guys. I think this one is easily fixable, and rather quickly. Dev will find out for sure.

bigfalls, thank you for your feedback from another side (uTorrent team) :)

I (and I think that all other users/testers as well) glad to use this product and to help you to make it better.

We really appreciate your work and your product - uTorrent.

Thank you.

Hey guys Idk if you guys are also having the same problem but after downloading the latest u torrent 3.0 build 25273 Ive noticed its giving a huge problem. When trying to download a torrent the CPU goes up to 100 percent and cause u torrent not to respond. It does this every time and does not let you download anything. Is there any solution? Or would I have to wait for a new update?

Archived